Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hope

As many of you may be aware, I am married to someone who refuses to go to church.

I won't go so far as to say he isn't a Christian, because to be honest I can't be sure. There are times when he has shared with me that he does pray, that he does believe in the Lord, and then he will contradict himself and say it's all rubbish.

I am hopeful though. He hasn't said it's all rubbish in quite some time. I feel as though we are progressing (although at times I think it's soooo slow!).

There have been a few signs of hope that I thought I would share, as much to remind myself to be hopeful more than anything.

  • Last week I mentioned that the spine on my Bible is torn, and he offered to fix it.
  • I have become more involved in the leadership group of our church, so far with no opposition from Kym (which hasn't always been the case). He is even interested to hear about how my meetings went.
  • I no longer feel I have to hide the fact that I'm reading my bible, or writing in my prayer journal. In the past this has been a cause for conflict but I no longer feel I need to hide it to keep the peace.
  • I am the secretary of our congregation and recently decided to skip a meeting in favour of spending time with Kym. He didn't expect that, he would have been happy for me to go and put off our afternoon together for another time. In the past this would have been an issue, he was constantly jealous of the time I spent in church if it interfered with his plans.
  • He no longer baits me about evolution. Kym loves nature shows and used to really enjoy winding me up about the evolution theory.
  • He just seems to be softening in general. I don't know if or when he will ever come to church with me but I feel a new certainty that he will join me in heaven, and that's the important bit.
  • Dear friends have been praying for us, and feeling led to pray for us and this keeps me encouraged, and reminds me that the Lord has not forgotten.

There have been many other little things. Just things that come up in conversation, the fact the church and the Lord does come up in coverstaion at all is a positive. I used to avoid the subject, but now feel that I can speak my mind.

We still have a way to go. I think we always will, but I'm feeling encouraged and confident that the Lord will not leave Kym behind (or me for that matter!).

Lord, thankyou for showing me these encouraging signs that Kym's heart is softening toward you. I pray that he will let you enter his heart completely and one day we will be able to worship you together.

4 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

That is so wonderful Sharon. It's a process and sometimes it does take a very long time, but God's timing is perfect.

I have said a prayer for him too. God bless!!

Leah Adams said...

The power of prayer, my friend, the power of prayer. The Holy Spirit is wooing your Kym. Keep on praying and keep on just living the thing out before Kym. Let the Holy Spirit do the rest!!

Leah

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again Sharon. I love your honesty and you do so well coping with all your challenges. Just dont give up - God has your Kym in His control... keep believing.... be open......and keep praying.....
Wow i am soooo excited for you.

Love
Lynette

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for your encouragement and prayer...

My prayer life has been somewhat lacking of late and that's something that I plan to do something about.

It means so much to know I have the support of my bloggy friends, thankyou.