Friday, March 6, 2009

Dental Dramas...again

Yesterday I had an appointment with my dentist for the last treatment for my root canal. All that needed to be done was fill the roots as they had all been filed out (sounds enticing doesn't it) and fill the tooth.

But no.

It would seem that when it comes to my teeth nothing is ever simple or straightforward.

My dentist decided to take an xray of the tooth once he had it all cleaned out and ready to fill just to be sure everything was as it should be and all those lovely long sharp pointy pins were in the right place. Which of course they weren't. Another half an hour of filing, drilling, scraping, poking and jabbing and he took another xray. This time all was in order. Thank the Lord. You know how I said I'd been having trouble committing myself to prayer? Well I think I made up for that yesterday, although some of it could be mistaken for frustrated nagging.

So after that little hiccup I have had the roots filled but not the filling on top. That is still some temporary plug thingy that needs to be replaced with a proper filling when the tooth settles down in a couple of weeks.

This tooth is at the top, at the very back and so pretty difficult to get to. After one and a half hours I was having real trouble keeping my mouth open. And I wasn't sure if it was my jaw that was hurting or my tooth, but let me tell you something was really hurting! It was my jaw, which is still a bit sore today. The tooth is a bit tender which I was told to expect but I haven't had to take any pain relief which the dentist said may be neccesary.

Of course after that thrilling hour and a half spent reclining in the torturers chair I got another painful surprise.

I have health insurance with dental cover. The best dental cover we could find. And still the gap was over $300 (the full account was around the $800 mark) That was just for that treatment. Not the whole thing. I haven't added up how much it's cost me over the course of all my appointments. It's probably best if I don't know. And the annoying part is that it's STILL. NOT. FINISHED!!!!!!!

*Sigh*

6 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Poor thing. Although I am married to a dentist, I try to stay as far away as I possibly can from that chair. I even hate having my teeth cleaned but I do go in every six months for that.

Hopefully your torture will be over soon.

Leah

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Don't forget my favourite word - PENTHROX!!! Sounds like a disease doesn't it? Only it's a lovely green thingy that you suck on and makes you feel REALLY good!!!!! Your dentist has them (although he had run out last time I was there). Costs about $30 and well worth the money!!!!

Kelly said...

Sorry - dental pain is horrible. Hang in there!

My ADHD Me said...

You and I could write a book about all of the problems we have with out teeth. Except, We Don't Have Dental Insurance!! From grinding my teeth at night (even wearing a nightguard), I have had 4 crowns (approx $800 each).
JM's wisdom teeth last month were approx $1500. Of course there is the normal routine visits that range from $75 to $150 if xrays are needed and lets don't even talk about braces.

On the bright side....The pink car is still running, staying on the road, keeping its distance from OTHER cars and it has been 12 days! That's one day longer than the last car...of course I didn't let him drive for 3 days when we had all the snow! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing tears to my eyes..... now i know why I opted to get my tooth removed a few years back.
I cannot handle anything in my mouth at the dentist so decided the dentists life was safer if I just got it removed..

Not for me I am afraid.. and i thought i was tough...well i am but not at the dentist....

Dentists take risks with me.. once i spat all that pink and white plastery stuff onto his glasses.... ha ha ha... I was only 6 though but i can still see it and hear myself screaming and so could all the people in the shops outside his rooms.

Nope I am not in for punishment anymore

Great you have dental cover though!

Lynette SA

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor love! I'm brave-ish in the dental chair, but sitting for that period of time would make me want to run. I hope it's all fixed and over with real soon. Take care. Naomi x