Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dental dramas part 3

And so it continues.....

Yesterday I went to the dentist for my second visit to complete a root canal. This is the part where they file out the nerve (sounds enticing doesn't it) and fill the root with cement.

Well. That's what is supposed to happen. Apparently I have an extra root on this tooth. Of course. And this tooth is right at the back of my mouth so difficult to get to.

After sitting in the chair for 1 hour and 16 minutes (give or take a few seconds) we had two roots filed out, with three to go. Apparently number 5 (5? Who has 5 roots? You don't see that in the pictures do you? Noooo.) is extremely uncooperative. Nothing is ever simple or straightforward when it comes to my teeth.

At about the 45 minute mark I really started to pray. Nothing coherant really. Just please make it stop. I wasn't really in pain, but the sides of my mouth were really sore from having to open my mouth so wide for so long and just watching him play with those long sharp files in front of me was freaking me out. There is just something really distressing about long sharp pointy things. I was holding myself so tense I came out of it with a stiff neck and a head ache.

So...where to from here? At least two more appointments. I kid you not. A root canal is supposed to take three appointments, but no. Sharon has to stretch it over four just so we can sort out that extra root. Extra root. You've got to be kidding. Who does that!

On the 29th of November I see the oral surgeon to find out what will be done about that wisdom tooth that I'm not supposed to have. Honestly. What is going on in my mouth. Extra roots, wisdom teeth appearing out the side of my gum that I paid hundreds of dollars to have removed when I was 21. What is the meaning of this outrage!

In other dental news....Scott had his plate removed from the roof of his mouth yesterday after six months. The orthodontist was pleased with the progress made and Scott's cross bite is now corrected. There was quite a bit of tugging and pulling involved in getting the plate out and Scott has pretty sore gums today. So it's back to mushy food for him for a few days. At least now he just has braces to contend with and not that bothersome plate. He can say "s" again!

7 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

Oh!!! Poor sore mouth!! Believe it or not, I had the exact same experience--an extra root--and boy, was the dentist surprised to find it!! I, myself, was not so excited about his astonishing discovery!!

And about this wisdom tooth appearing that was already removed? I just don't even have an explanation for that one!!

Hope your mouth isn't too sore today--or else you can join Scott and share the mushy food--you know--keep him company in his own misery!!

Beth

Leah Adams said...

Hmmm!! Sounds like your dentist has a mortgage payment due!!! Just kidding. You know I'm married to one of those dentist types and the work they do it hard and tedious. I'm sure he is doing his very best for you!!

Leah

Anonymous said...

Get that oil on your head and neck, girl!;) My goodness, you've been through a bit, with more to come - poor you!!!:( (can you tell I'm loving those little face thingees?!!) Hope you're getting lots of TLC...

Edie said...

Oh my goodness Sharon I'm hurting with you! :0

I have such a hard time with dentists and doctors these days. Well actually it's with the idea of pain. If I can imagine it's painful then I'm done.

Lifting you up in prayer.

HisPrincess said...

Beth, we are a special breed aren't we! Not just anyone can say they have extra roots!

Leah, my dentist is a lovely man. I'm quite sure he isn't profiteering!

Naomi, I'm fully recovered now, just dreading the next appointment (which I haven't made yet...chicken!)

Edie, all prayers are gratefully accepted, thanks! I will let you know when the next appointment is (when I get brave enough to make it) I'd really appreciate your prayers then.

sailorcross said...

Hi Sharon!!

I was reading this verse:

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree....Psalm 92:12

Set me to thinking--why would be be like palm trees? So, I looked into this a little--it seems that during hurricanes palm trees will stretch, bend, be pushed and shoved around, but they WON'T break. And all the while this is happening--this bending, stretching, pushing during the storm, their root system is actually being expanded to allow room for more growth!!

Just like us--during the storms of our lives--God is expanding us, growing us, deepening our roots in Him.

Maybe we should be thankful for those extra roots!!

I want you to do me a favor--read my latest post on The Power of Your Love. I just finished it, and I'm still crying. I know that you struggle with this issue, too, and it is a hard one!!

Beth

Edie said...

Hi Sharon! I have something for you. Please stop by my blog when you get a chance. :D