Monday, November 10, 2008

Christmas thoughts

Our service this week touched on Christmas, and our capital city celebrated the begining of the festive season with the annual Christmas pagaent on Saturday morning.

I love Christmas. I've never grown out of the wonder of it all. I love carols. I love wrapping presents and decorating trees, and most of all I love to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour.

While sitting in church this week listening to the children's talk I felt a real yearning for what I really want for Christmas this year. I want to sit in that very church on Christmas morning with my husband and children. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes, it brings such an intense feeling of longing, almost like I'm grieving. I really don't understand why it makes me so emotional. And I really don't hold out much hope of it happening. But that doesn't stop me from dreaming.

This Christmas will be a bit different for us. For the first time in many years we will wake on Christmas morning in our own home. My parents have moved a long way away and work in a mining community and this year they don't get time off for Christmas. We will celebrate with them a week early when they come visit. Usually we spend Christmas eve with them and Christmas morning at their house and then go to Kym's family. This year will start at home, and then go to Kym's family for lunch. This means we will drive right past our church on Christmas day. Maybe that's why it's playing on my mind. We aren't normally anywhere near home on Christmas morning.

For some reason I have a feeling that this Christmas has special significance for our family. I can't put my finger on it, something just feels different.

Lord, thank you for seeking me and drawing me close to you. I pray that I can remember the true reason for Christmas and not let my own desires get in the way of my praise and thanksgiving for all that You have done for me. I pray that I can live in you completely, and that I can learn to hand everything over to you. Help me to reliquish control and just give my life to you completely.

9 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

Something to pray about it - perhaps you could tell them (gently) that is what you would like for Christmas. Or ask them to come to church with you Christmas Day.

I don't know if they'll agree or not but I'll be praying for that very thing. And that you'll be given an opportunity to say something.

I think we'll be away this year but the Christmas services at church are usually wonderful, blessed times. And they aren't usually a "full length" service.

P.S. I felt more bricks chipped out of that brick wall on Sunday during the service. God is still working! Don't lose heart.

Kelly said...

I would definitely pray about this...but I would "ask" for it for Christmas too. Surely the topic will come up "What do YOU want for Christmas this year?" The family will surely grumble...but maybe just maybe.

I pray that this year your Christmas wishes do indeed come true. Because they are the purest kind of wishes.

My ADHD Me said...

Christmas is such a wonderful time. I hope you get your wish.
I agree about the carols. They make you feel all squishy inside.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get what you want for Christmas. It's the sweetest desire and one that costs nothing. Tell them loved ones of yours... just tell them what you would like. Say it meekly and without any demands, and just leave it hanging in the air for them to ponder... Alternatively, you could bound and gag 'em, and plonk 'em in the pew;) [couldn't resist...]

Seriously, I've been in the same boat, and I've built up resentment and handled it the wrong way and gotten nowhere. I've learnt to plant little seeds along the way, and I believe God takes care of the rest, and softens my man, and from that there are insurmountable blessings... Keep dreaming and praying - desires of the heart, and all that, remember?!! You know, you probably would be grieving, and darn tootin', you have ever reason too. It is an emotionally & spiritually intense deisre of the heart to have your family, whom you love so much, walking with your God. Never lose hope for that, dear girl! God would want you to keep that dream alive, and those prayers forth-coming...

Wishing you a blessed week ahead. N x

Anonymous said...

DESIRE...DESIRE...DESIRE...

Edie said...

Oh Sharon, I just know the heart in your prayer touched the heart of God and made Him smile over you. All things are possible for God. I will pray with you. It is quite possible that God placed that desire in your heart. Love ya!

HisPrincess said...

I do struggle sometimes with the issue that this is what I want, and I let it completely over run me at times. Sometimes I wonder at my motives. Like do I want them there so I can have the warm fuzzie of sitting in the pew flanked by my family like the other families? Or am I thinking of their salvation. I have to be honest and say it's a little of both.

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and prayers. You have brought tears to my eyes, the caring and kindness I find here is so overwhelming sometimes.

God's Girl said...

I love Christmas too. It is such a meaningful holiday : )

May you have a wonderful Christmas season.

Julie

God's Girl said...

I love Christmas too. It is such a meaningful holiday : )

May you have a wonderful Christmas season.

Julie