Monday, January 12, 2009

Reality Bites

I was perfectly relaxed this morning driving to work. Even kind of looking forward to getting back into it for the new year, planned on getting some things finished off and getting more organised.

Then I arrived at my desk. Well I think my desk is under there somewhere. And the sticky notes. Whoever invented sticky notes has a lot to answer for. There was even a pile of paperwork on my chair.

So I sorted through it, getting grumpier by the minute. Made notes and a list of what needed to be done ( I do love a good list). Then I opened my emails. It took forever to open because there were so many! Arrgh!

It has taken me all morning to sort my desk into workable piles of paper (without actually doing anything about them), answer emails, forward emails, delete emails and now I'm dangerously close to breaking my no chocolate promise!

I was hoping to work through lunch and finish early so I could get back to the beach....now it seems I will work through lunch and finish late. Sigh. Honestly, when I walked in and saw it all this morning I just wanted to walk back out again.

Dear Lord, Help me to remain focused and stay on task today so that I can complete all my work quickly and efficiently. Help me to not let it get on top of me and to just do one thing at a time and work my way through, rather than trying to do everything at once.

Thank you for the wonderful time we have had as a family at the beach. It's a precious time and we have come to truly value it every year.

7 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

I used to get the grumpies whenever I returned to work after vacation. I tried not to but the catch up can be quite daunting. Hang in there Sharon.

Leah Adams said...

Just keep thinking about how God blessed you with a wonderful vacation. Unfortunately there is always a price to pay for being away!! You will make it through.

Leah

Kelly said...

Isn't it amazing how the work keeps accumulating while we're out. As Edie said, Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping your refreshed-ness would last a little longer for you... oh dear, reality, hah! Just eat the chocolate;)!!!

My ADHD Me said...

At least you had time to sit and write a rant about it. Hopefully that helped.
If not, there's always....sshhh..... chocolate.

Joanie said...

Sorry to hear the Mt. Work erupted all over your desk (and chair). Darn those volcanoes... ;)

"Step-by-step you lead me and I will follow you all of my days..."

One thing at a time, make your list, prioritize and know that this too shall pass ~ though it's not enjoyable in the middle of it. Praying for you and knowing God is able in every situation.

Be strong, my friend ~ resist the chocolate. Have a cuppa (away from the office to relax and breathe for a few minutes) and then go back at it for a time. And, remember ~ each night when you leave: shut the door and leave your work at the office. It will still be there for you the next morning. If you can, go for a walk, relax on the porch, go to the beach ~ and enjoy the beauty of God's Creation all around you.

You are SO LOVED, dear friend!

Jenny said...

The first day back after vacation is the pits! The good news is tomorrow will be better.