Wednesday, January 28, 2009

HOT!

We are merrily (?) melting through our first heat wave of the year. And it is some heat wave.

Today at 1.30pm the temperature hit 45.6 degrees. Now I don't know what that is in "US language" but let me tell you it's HOT.

I work in an airconditioned office, which is normally lovely and cool, and I'm hot. Although I went outside at lunch time and that made me appreciate that my office is still WAAAAY cooler than 45.6 degrees!

Scott was supposed to have cricket practice tonight, and it's been cancelled. He is not happy. He has been looking forward to cricket starting up again since we stopped for our Christmas/Holiday break. But I'm sure even cricket crazy Scott wouldn't enjoy practicing in this heat.

This time of year reminds me of the first week of school way back when I was still at school. This first week of term used to always be the hottest week of the year. We stuck to, or slid around on the vinyl school bus seats. We threw blackboard dusters at the ceiling fans. We had water fights in the playground at lunch time. We took our shoes off and burned our feet on the concrete. We dashed to the drinking fountain between lessons to wet our hair. Our school bus driver bought us ice creams which we were never able to eat before they melted all down our arms. There were no air conditioners, sun smart policies, hot weather policies and you know what? We all survived!

A friend said to me (rather hopefully) that maybe the return of this hot start to the school term means the seasons are getting back to normal and we are in for a good year. The cynic in me thinks maybe she is clutching at straws, but I will try to quell that cynical voice.

10 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

Well it's about 25 degrees here and I'm freezing! I think that's about -4 celcius. Brrr. You can have some of this if you want it.

Edie said...

Wow I just calculated yours and it's 114 fahrenheit. Ouch! Hope you cool off soon.

Leah Adams said...

Good grief, you are scorching!! Yuck!! I much prefer the cold weather to the hot. We had a beautiful 60 degree day here yesterday. Hope your day is cooler today.

Leah

Anonymous said...

Yes we reached that or more today in Adelaide and my hubby had to find his way home from the norht due to buckled train lines on the public transport system, and then a lady who lives locally offered him a ride!

Even inside the aircon is struggling and its 30! It must be hot outside.

But I am so thankful I am not living in a caravan or tent right now and have electriticy to help cool us off and our drinking water.

So ho ho ho off to work we go go go - at least its still cool there - that is until I get into my hot car at the end of the day and cant hold the wheel!

Lynette

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for the conversion Edie! It sounds much worse when you say it in fahrenheit.

Leah, the forecast is that we are stuck in this heat wave until the middle of next week. At least that means we get to go to the beach for a swim on the weekend!

Lynette, yes I saw on the news about the train tracks buckling, that says something doesn't it. I'm so glad we aren't in the city. I find the heat really unbearable in the city with all that cement around.

Kelly said...

I checked, Edie is right 114. That is HOT!!! I can't believe it. 98 here and I feel like I"m going to melt. Stay inside!

sailorcross said...

Whoa!! It never gets that hot here!! The hottest I can remember is 104, and then we thought we were melting--just like your ice cream!!

Its' 30 Fahrenheit right now and we've had snow and now freezing rain on top of that. A mess to be sure, but I'd rather be cold than hot.

But, then again--a dip in the water at the beach or pool sounds pretty nice right about now, too!!

Beth

Joanie said...

I'd love a bit of warm (even ~ hot) temperatures about now... It's been unusually chilly in Seattle this winter. However, if it means less 'bugs' next spring and summer, I am thankful!

I spent a number of years in Eastern Washington and summer visits to Idaho (Blaine's parents) and we decided that those summer temps were just too hot to bear ~ however, I don't remember complaining as much in my youth; spent lots of time at the lake...

Iced tea and lemonade (by the gallon ~ oh wait, I think it would be the "litre" for you)??? ;o)

HisPrincess said...

I think what's really making it hard to cope with is that it's not cooling down at night. Last night the overnight low was 35 degrees celsius (Edie, Kelly feel free to convert!) and that's putting a strain on everything because if you don't sleep well then you don't function well!

Jenny said...

Yep, it's pretty cold here. I just saw where Edie did the math and you guys are HOT!

Jen