Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Community

The place where I live is small. A town on 1000 people which services the farmers surrounding it.

But last night was testimony to just how big the hearts are around here.

Our football club "A grade" team train twice per week. On Tuesday and Thursday. The rest of us not so committed types and the juniors train only on Thursday.

Last night was no ordinary A grade training. Our club put on a free meal and provided counsellors to help the lads work through the grief of losing one of their own. There were over 100 people there. Not just our A grade, but also our B grade, and many A grade players from other clubs came out to show their support. Daniel's parents were also there, as was his friend who was with him (but survived the accident) and his parents.

We may be rivals on the field but last night showed that we are one amazing community. Last night the healing process began. The boys were all able to get together and support one another and Daniel's family. And they were able to start to talk about it, and realise that it's ok and necessary to talk about it.

Lord, thankyou for this amazing, close and caring community that I live in. I pray that the people can heal and help each other during this time. I pray especially for Daniel's family and close friends as they come to terms with this huge loss. Comfort them Lord. Let them know you are there.

3 valued opinions!:

Edie said...

I am sorry for the loss of your friend Sharon.

Lord I pray that you will watch over and comfort Daniel's family and friends, and that they will know your Presence in the midst of their pain. In Jesus Name ~ Amen.

Thank you for your prayers. It's good to *see* you again. I tend to fall off the blogosphere sometimes too. :)

Joanie said...

What a terrible tragedy. What amazing grace, strength and love your community is filled with... That is a special gift!

Praying for you all. Thinking of you often.

Glad you're back on your blog. I'll "truly" be back eventually. :)

HisPrincess said...

Thanks Joanie and Edie. While it's been an awful week I feel pretty blessed to live where I do.