Friday, May 14, 2010

Depression and Faith

I have suffered from depression in the past. I sought help in the form of medication and counseling and am one of the lucky ones to make a full recovery. I now know my warning signs and my limitations and I take care to monitor myself. If it happens again I hope that I know enough now to not let myself hit rock bottom before I seek help. Thats the plan anyway.

My daughter also suffers from depression. At the moment she is taking medication, which has taken 6 months to get right and she starts counselling next week. I'm very pleased to say that emotionally she is doing pretty well right now.

Yesterday she was told by someone she respects that her depression is pretty much her own fault. That she has the spirit of satan within her and she needs to go "cold turkey" and completely come off her medication and "let God heal you". This person obviously has no clue of the consequences of stopping anti depressants suddenly and without support.

Steph doesn't plan on taking this advice. But she now feels that she is a bad person, that she is being punished, and worst of all that she doesn't want anything to do with a God who punishes her like this. She wants to know what she did wrong.

One positive is that it has opened the lines of communication between us about faith and illness. I've spent a bit of time researching this morning to reassure Steph that God loves her, and that she isn't being punished but if anyone can help me out with some more info to back me up I'd really appreciate it.

Lord please let Steph know that you are with her and that you love her. Remind her to be kind to herself and help her recover from this illness.

5 valued opinions!:

Wendy said...

Hugs and prayers, Sharon and Steph. I have suffered depression (I think I have low grade depression almost permanently but I was on Zoloft a couple of years ago), my husband is on ADs for life and my daughter is coming off them after 2 years on them. So I know a bit. Michael Spencer's blog has some really useful pieces about depression http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/classic-imonk-the-boat-in-the-backyard search "depression on his blog for more. The person who told Steph that should be approached and educated. Many Christians are woefully ignorant about mental health issues and uninformed comments can do much harm. Reassure Steph that God hasn't punishing a diabetic with diabetes so why would she be punished with depression. Depression is a biochemical/hormonal condition - its a result of us living in an imperfect world with imperfect bodies. Reassure her that living with depression can have it's benefits - my daughter has learned many lessons - and has said that she is grateful she has had depression as it has given her another perspective on life, made her more tolerant and sensitive to others and enabled her to grow into a more Christ-like person.

Leah Adams said...

Grrrrrr!! How I would like to give that precious goofy person a piece of my mind!!! Would he/she say the same thing about diabetes or high blood pressure? Would they say that because someone has high cholesterol or arthritis they are not godly? No, they would not if they have any sanity about them at all.

So, then why is it ok and acceptable for the heart or the kidneys or the pancreas to have problems that require medication but it isn't ok for the brain to have problems that require medication. Grrrrr! This gets my ire up so badly.

Moses and Elijah both suffered from depression. David asked his soul why it was downcast. For heaven's sake, the brain can get sick too.

I take anti-anxiety medication because the neurotransmitters in my brain get all out of whack!! Emotional disorders do NOT always mean there is sin in our lives.

Sorry!! I just get so worked up over this issue. Poor Steph.

Leah

HisPrincess said...

Thankyou Leah and Wendy. You both make excellent points that I shall pass on to Steph.

Unfortunately this person DOES feel that any illness is because you are failing with your faith. She belongs to a breakaway church (I'm refraining from calling them a cult) who are pretty extreme in their beliefs. People have died among them due to refusing treatment. Scary scary people.

Unfortunately Steph is spending time with this lady as she is a brilliant designer and she is helping Steph create a design for an upcoming competition.

Leah Adams said...

Sharon,

Look online at Amazon.com. They might have it. If you can't find it, let me know and I will send it to you.

Leah

Agrantham81 said...

We had a sermon at church on this very topic recently. Normally they are pod cast for us to share, but while our pastor is on leave they are not being done.

Basically it talked about the fact that sometimes we are given an illness or disability so that God's work can be shown through us.

It was on a chapter in John. It discussed that the man Jesus healed was not sick (I think the blind man, but I am unsure) because of sin, but rather so God could show his greatness through Jesus act of healing him.

Maybe that reading would help Steph.

I will look and see if I can find the outline and the exact chapter for you. Am trying to not wake kidlets atm.

I do hope and pray that the woman in question sees the damage she is doing and how wrong they are.

Hugs and prayers for you and your dtr.