Monday, May 24, 2010

Future Plans

At the moment Steph is half way through year 12 (or her senior year). She has a plan for next year but I am still worried.

I guess that's my job to worry. Mother's perrogative.

Stephanie is very artistic. She does everything with an artistic flair. Last year she designed her own debutante gown, and this year she is designing and making a ballgown from recycled material for a competition (will post photos when it's complete). Her cupcakes are decorated beautifully and even packaged artistically. She is a natural when it comes to art and music.

And yet the career she has chosen has nothing to do with art or music. She has decided she wants to study a Bachelor or Health Science (Acupuncture). Excuse me? Science?

I worry that she has chosen this career because she doesn't think she is talented enough to pursue a career in the arts. She sees people who major in art and doesn't see herself as one of those "arty types". I worry that a 4 year degree is going to be a pretty tough ask when it's not something that you have a flair or passion for.

I worry about her living so far from home. I worry about supporting her financially and emotionally from afar. I worry about how I will cope with not having her here beside me and not being able to have lunch together on Thursday. I worry that she won't be able to find a job, or she won't like her living arrangements.

I worry that she won't pass, or that she will give up, or that she will hate it.

I worry and I worry and I worry and I worry.

Lord, please help me to stop all this worry. I pray that Stephanie is going where you want her to go, and that you are guiding her decisions, even if she doesn't know it. I pray that I can support her when she needs it, and that we will cope financially and emotionally next year when she leaves home. Please help me to hand her over to you. Help me to let go.

4 valued opinions!:

Alan said...

I know how you feel about your child. It's hard not to worry about them. God has given us the responsibility to raise them, and teach them, and prepare them for whatever they decide to do with their lives. I have a son that has a natural, God-given talent for art and music. He is great at both, and he does absolutely nothing with them. He spends most of his time writing. He is good at that too, but he writes about stuff that is a little too adult for me. I pray that God will lead your daughter in the right direction. I will pray for you too. I think a good mother worries for her child. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Think what you are going through is only natural!!! Its the process of letting go and allowing our kids to make life choices even if they decide to change later on... I feel like this is a constant at the moment.. but its part of life!They become more relilient by becoming responsible dont they????
Lynette

HisPrincess said...

Thank you Alan, I'm not sure I'm a good mother, but I'm trying!

Lynette I know we all go through this, and it's perfectly natural but I really struggle to ever imagine my princess being completely independant!

Joanie said...

Trust in the Lord, lean not on your own understanding - in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. We can pray this for our children too!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

My BIGGEST challenge as a mother has been learning to let go, trust God with "His" children and allow them to soar or crash. He is with them in every situation and I have my own path to walk with God and it needs my attention! Yet, I also make myself available should God reveal I need to "take care of my children" too...

You are a dear mother and this mum loves you too! {{{HUGS}}} Some things are so difficult to not fret over...

Okay - Joanie popped in to check on you and must get back to sewing. The clock is SO ticking!