Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Drought

As most who read my blog are aware our community has been in the grips of a drought for the past 3 or 4 years.

Year after year we have put our crop in, only to have the rain dry up in August and leaving us with little or no yield.

We are surviving, and the promise of this year's crop is keeping us going. Here we are in September with crops still looking green and fresh. Even if it stops raining now we will still get a crop, and that's good news.

The bad news is that it's too late for some.

The harsh reality is that we are facing losing some families from our district. And they are our friends. Very dear friends.

I don't want them to go...

Up until now I've taken the ostrich approach. If I don't think about it, it won't happen. Just call me Scarlet O'Hara. I'll think about it tomorrow.

Well, I'm afraid tomorrow is here. At church on Sunday we had a guest speaker who lost his family home and his father in the terrible bushfires in Victoria last summer.

His message was one of hope, and resilience, and that when you lose all you have it makes you realise what is really important. He then played "It Is Well With My Soul" on his saxophone. And that was it for me. The floodgates opened. I was a dribbling mess without a tissue in sight. Eyeliner and mascara everywhere...not pretty.

There I sat in church, with two dear friends on either side of me, both facing losing everything, both with tears streaming down their faces.

And it really hit home.

They really are leaving.

These families will leave a huge hole in our community, and in my life.

And I still don't want to think about it.

6 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

I am so sorry for them, you, and your area.
I am glad that it seems the crops will be good this year and I pray that things will flourish.
I said a prayer for them and for you.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for them and for you...

HisPrincess said...

Thanks so much ADHD and Wendy...

We have the knowledge that the Lord will look after us all, and that His plan is perfect. It's just hard to accept when big changes happen.

Rebecca said...

I'm SO sorry. I can imagine the emotions as you heard the song played. (I LOVE saxophone music & that song has quite a background story of loss itself!)

Hebrews 12:27-28...the removal of things that are shaken--that is, things that have been made--in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain...Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe....

Looks like many of us are being offered a kingdom that cannot be shaken! May God sustain us in our souls and may we worship Him with reverence and awe!

Joanie said...

Oh, my dear friend... I can only imagine the pain in your heart mixed with the hope that you're finally bringing in a crop this year. My heart is greatly saddened for those who will be leaving you, your community and a lifestyle they loved. I'm so thankful for Rebecca sharing God's Word. Though not easy to hear, I realize those words are so true!

Father, may Your peace blanket this special place in South Australia where everyone knows everyone and it's such a close knit community. Please break this drought and restore the farm families hope and way of life. And even more Lord, I pray You would cause this area to be a place where your Living Water flows constantly, that You supply their daily bread and they shall sing, "It is well with my soul!"
Please give Sharon an extra measure of strength and love to share with those she cares deeply about as their roads go in different directions... And, please protect her precious heart. In Jesus' precious and mighty name ~ Amen

Love you, dear friend. Sending hugs from me to you!

HisPrincess said...

Rebecca: Knowing the background of that song made it all the more moving and poignant. And of course watching a slide show of the devastation caused by the bushfires just pushed me over the edge! But they were cleansing tears. And it brought out into the open how we were all feeling about our friends leaving. I think we've all been trying to pretend it isn't happening!

Joanie: Such wonderful, warm and encouraging words as always. You are such a blessing. Thank you so much.