Saturday, September 19, 2009

Changing Seasons

September/October is my favourite time of year.

It's the time of year when life slows down. Just a tad. Football season is over, and for a couple of weeks before tennis and cricket start we get to spend Saturday at home.

September is a time when I look forward to Christmas (I LOVE Christmas), Summer holidays, Sunshine and of course, the beach.

You know I think it's more fun looking forward to these things each year than actually experiencing them!

Now is the time for us to just stop. Catch our breath. Relax.

In two weeks Scott will start playing cricket which means early Saturday mornings, but at least it still leaves Saturday afternoon free. Kym, Scott, Steph and I will start tennis which is usually played on a Friday night.

Sometime in the middle of October we will start harvesting. Which means I will become a single parent for about 6 weeks. This is a lot easier now than it used to be. It was hard work with young children, I hated it. Doesn't bother me at all now, in fact I quite enjoy having a few weeks where I get to be the keeper of the remote!

At the moment Kym is busy getting the harvester ready for action, and just making sure all the odd jobs are done around the farm that he won't have time to do during harvest. Now that Scott is older it's his responsibility to check on the sheep each day while Kym is busy. At least this year they still have plenty of feed in the paddocks. This time last year Scott was busy each day feeding them hay.

Our crops are hanging on. We are luckier than some in our district. We have had a couple of showers of rain in the past few days, and there is supposed to be more coming next week. All we need is one more good rain. And the grain prices to go up a bit!

All in all, we are in a stronger position this year than we were last year, and that's good news.

Lord thankyou for this time to rest and recover from the busy winter season. I pray that spring will bring about favourable weather so that our crops can fill out and reach their full potential. I pray for those who are facing another bad year, with failed crops. Be with them. Show them that you are there and that they can rely on you.

3 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

Praying for rain!

Your Sept and October posts remind me of my March and April ones.

You're getting ready for the spring and summer....meanwhile fall and winter are right around the corner on this side of the street.

So glad things are better this year than last. I don't know much about farming but we do have some farmland and farmers around here and it looks like ALOT of work. And the weather can be brutal.
SO, prayers are coming your way!

Joanie said...

I'm still PRAYING for rain so the heads will be healthy and properly developed and harvest will be abundant! Rejoicing that the sheep have good pasture to graze on this year... And, how is the beekeeping/honey business going?

May the Lord keep you all sane and healthy through the harvest season ~ after a short respite between sport seasons...

Hope all is well. I think of you often!

Leah Adams said...

So thankful things are looking up for you! It is almost impossible for me to imagine Christmas and hot weather together. never experienced it. Probably just as hard as it is for you to imagine Christmas and cold weather.

Have a beautiful day!

Leah