Friday, December 12, 2008

School's Out!

Today was the last day of school for most South Australians....


And you know what that means! Summer holidays are here! Yay!


We have the added bonus of finishing harvest this week so Kym is also in holiday mode. I'm still working but not having to get up and pack lunches or find missing socks before I go to work almost feels like a holiday...almost!


On Christmas day we will move into the family "shack" at the beach. I only have to work two days between Christmas and New Year, and then after New Year I have a week off. The rest of the time I will travel to work from Port Neill, which can be a bit of a drag, but the view is one worth travelling for.


This is the view from the front door of our shack. The shack itself is nothing flash, but the location couldn't be better. In this photo you can see Kym (on the right) and his brother in law cleaning fish, while his niece and sister watch. The other spectators are waiting for some fish skeletons and are there everytime someone appears to be cleaning fish. This photo was taken a couple of years ago, there are more than 8 regular pelicans now. Beautiful aren't they.

Dear Lord, thank you that we have this opportunity for rest and relaxation with family and friends. This time of year is something we always look forward to, something about the beauty and the power of the sea makes me feel closer to you and I just love to be there. I pray that this year we can enjoy some wonderful moments and become closer as a family and closer to you.

6 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

What a Beautiful view!!
I guess the song White Christmas isn't a big hit there, eh?

Joanie said...

Completely and utterly JEALOUS, but happy for all of you! What an amazing and priceless view... I'd love to have a shack that overlooked that. I'd spend alot of time just sitting and soaking it all in or walking along the beach, or lying in a hammock just listening to the wonderful sounds of God's Creation all around me.

Overjoyed that you get to spend some quality time there. It's definitely a 'different' picture than what we envision Christmas to look like. We always hope for a White Christmas (though chances are quite slim in the rainy Pacific Northwest) ~ though this year we're hoping to visit Kirstin's family's cabin in the Cascade Mountains (couple hour drive west) the Saturday after Christmas and go snowmobiling! (If everyone can get time off from work.)

Rejoicing with you! You'd better take your camera. I want to see pictures! ;)

Kelly said...

Have a wonderful Christmas! What a beautiful location. What a blessing.

I'll be thinking of you as I shiver through the holidays in my bulky coat.

HisPrincess said...

My ADHD, no we don't sing White Christmas very often! We have some Australian versions of Christmas carols that don't mention winter or snow, but kangaroos and summer!

Joanie, wow! Snowmobiling! The nearest snow to us in the winter is about 9 hours drive, and we've never managed to take the kids so they've never seen snow. Neither has Kym, I did as a child but that was a looong time ago! You had also better take your camera! I'd love to see photos!

Kelly I will definately think of all of you shivering in the US, while I enjoy an iced tea and soak up the view! Now that's just mean isn't it...to be honest I'd love to experience a white Christmas, but I'm a bit soft, and don't really cope with the cold all that well.

Leah Adams said...

I am wishing I was there. I hope you have a wonderful holiday at the beach. What an awesome place to celebrate the birth of our Lord!!

Leah

Anonymous said...

The beach shack may not be anything flash (any rooms available!!!;)), but it's location is splendid!!! What a lovely holiday to look forward to every year - such a huge blessing for your whole family!