Sunday, December 21, 2008

Finding Christmas Cheer

I'm struggling with finding my Christmas cheer. This is very unusual for me... I adore this time of year and the mere thought of the month of December usually makes me smile. But it would seem not this year for some reason...

It's been a long year, and a tough one, and I'm looking forward to it being over. Also, Christmas will be different for us this year. We have always had lunch with my parents and dinner with Kym's. This year my parents live a long way away, and they have to work so it will be lunch and dinner with Kym's family. We had lunch yesterday with my parents and my brother and his family. It was nice, but it didn't feel right. Sigh. I don't really know what my problem is. I'm feeling a bit stressed out with trying to get work completed before Christmas, and I'm feeling really disorganised with my Christmas shopping which stresses me out. Usually I've finished Christmas shopping in November, and here we are with three days til Christmas and I'm not happy with the shopping I've done, and not really sure what to do about it.

The obvious answer is for me to focus on what's important at this time of year, and be thankful for what I have. So I shall endeavour to do that.

Lord, please help me to remember the true meaning of Christmas and be thankful for the many blessings I have. Help me to focus on the positives and not dwell on what I would like to be different. Please help me to hear your directions and obey.

9 valued opinions!:

sailorcross said...

Sharon,

Stop by and visit!! I'm sure I can get you into the CHRISTmas spirit!!

Didn't you get my invitation to the party?

Better stop by and visit here:

http://wwwthepowerofyourlove.blogspot.com/2008/12/were-going-to-have-really-big-party.html

I know how it is--read yesterday's warmharte, too!!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I hope you pick up and feel more 'festive' soon. Thinking of you and wishing you and your family a safe and happy holiday. God Bless!

Leah Adams said...

Sharon,

The way you are feeling is what I feel most every year at Christmas. I love the meaning and message of Christmas but all the shopping and frenzy and pressure just absolutely take the joy our of it for me, if I allow it to. I've learned to simplify. This year, I did not decorate at all other than to put out my nativity scenes. This year we choose a missionary family and a military family to bless with a financial gift rather than spending tons of money on gifts that family and friends don't really need.

I have to purpose in my heart to find joy in this time of year.

Now, give me Easter any day!! I love, love Easter and all it means.

Know you are not alone!!

Joanie said...

Happy Birthday (yesterday)! Did you have a good birthday/Christmas celebration with the family? It snowed for you here, but you're not close enough for me to ship you a BIG BOX of it... Wouldn't that be fun?!

I know what you mean about Christmas. I've really struggled myself for many years. However, this year I'm finding that God is helping me to restore my Christmas heart (it's not where I want it to be yet, but I'm making progress) and to make Christmas what I want it to be in spite of "everything else" around us!

Merry Christmas 'cheer' and I'm hoping my package arrives sooner than later for you! It's filled with things to cause your heart and mouth to rejoice! Hope it makes you smile... :)

HisPrincess said...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support...

I'm trying really hard to get myself into it. I'm not where I want to be but I'm working on it...afterall I've told Stephanie often enough that you can choose how you react to things so I'd better start practising what I preach.

Today I choose to be happy and I choose to be joyful and thankful that Jesus was sent to us to save us!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome to play... I said it's open for everyone. And if you link back to me, then you can win the mystery prize... Go on, you know you want to;)

Anonymous said...

What I meant to say was, you can be in the RUNNING to win the mystery prize!!! I type to fast for my head to keep up...

Edie said...

Hey Sharon! I've been there many times. Don't beat yourself up over it. May I suggest just begin praising the Lord. He will take over as you do.

Oh God, You are Wonderful. You are Awesome. The heavens declare your Greatness. You are the Great I AM. There is no one equal to you. You are the one and only God. All Powerful. All Knowing. Ever present. You are full of Mercy and Love. You are Holy. A Loving God. Slow to Anger. I thank you Lord that you will work in Sharon's heart whatever needs to be taken care of and remove the anxiety she feels. In Christ.

Kelly said...

We have have seasons of highs and lows. Thankfully our redeemer is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. So whether we are up or down, he is right there with us.