Monday, January 18, 2010

Moving On

I have just returned home from a farewell party for some very dear friends of mine.

It was pretty low key and relaxed and I was quite proud of myself for keeping the waterworks in check.

I'm a bit surprised with how I have reacted to the impending move of a family that I consider to be amoung my very best friends.

I've been angry at them, happy for them, sad for them, jealous of them and then back to angry at them. I'm happy that things seem to be falling into place for them after a time of uncertainty. Sad that their move has been forced upon them by a combination of drought, economic downturn and sad that we are losing another farming family from our community. Jealous that I don't get to go too. I've often dreamt of a sea change, or a tree change, or just a change. And I'm more than a little angry that they are leaving me. I mean how dare they.

It's not the end of the world. They aren't leaving the country, not even leaving the state. They will be about 5 hours drive away, which is a pretty long way to call in for a cuppa, but still within reach.

All in all the farewell went well. It was a lovely, relaxed get together where we all had the opportunity to show that we love them and value them. I held it all together until it was time to go. They leave very soon, and not knowing if I would catch up with Craig again (I will have numerous coffee's with Melissa) before they leave I made a point of saying goodbye. He hugged me and told me he loved me (I replied, yeah, well I hate you) and he said he knows, and he's sorry, but it's not like we'll never see each other again. And he's right. We will see them again. But it won't be the same. They won't be just down the road.

It's not fair.

I know this is a new and exciting chapter in their lives. They will be fine. We will be fine.

But it's still not fair.

Lord, please be with Craig and Melissa and their children as they make the final preparations for their move. Please watch over their decisions and help them work together to help and support one another. Keep them in our hearts and minds as they make this huge change in their lives. Most of all be with them and let them feel your love and keep them safe.

4 valued opinions!:

Ginger said...

I've been on both sides of a move, the one going and the one letting go. Either way, it is truly bittersweet.

Lightening said...

I keep thinking about how hard this must be on them and how relieved they'll be when they actually get there and can focus on the next chapter. Which might make me sound all "altruistic" but in reality it's just a way of avoiding how I'm feeling.

I don't think it's sunk in for me that they're actually doing it. They're breaking free from the bondage of farming!!!! Mine says he could leave anytime but I'm not sure he really could... Okay, I know farming has it's good bits but not too many people really choose to leave after so many years investing themselves into it do they?

I thought maybe if I didn't go last night I could just pretend they were away on holiday... :) That would work wouldn't it?

Leah Adams said...

Bless your heart, Sharon. I'm sorry that you are losing an important part of your life. God bless these precious ones as they begin a new life and God bless you for loving them so.

Leah

Joanie said...

My heart aches for you and the community, Sharon. Can't imagine how you must be feeling... Parting is so difficult, but I've lived a lifetime of moving from one place to another ~ so I've learned to tell myself "it's time to move on - God's got work for us to do somewhere else" (it helps with the emotional side of leaving people you care about). I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a place, set down roots and become involved in people's lives - but, then leaving would seem almost unbearable. You are a special lady and I know only our gracious and loving Lord will be able to fill this void in your heart.

Thinking of the Michael W. Smith song, Friends are friends forever... I know you know it! I'm thinking of you and praying for you and sending this big bear {{{HUG}}} your way and so wishing I could take away your pain and help carry this burden too.