Monday, August 17, 2009

Hit by a Truck

This morning I had that terrible phone call.

"Mum I think I need a new car"

My first thought was she couldn't start it, or it had broken down. Her next sentence made me feel physically ill.

"I've been hit by a truck"

Obviously she wasn't badly injured or she wouldn't be ringing me....but still...that is not a sentence you ever want to hear from your 16 year old daughter.

I arrived at the scene of the accident to find a very shaken, crying Stephanie and a very shaken (although not crying) truck driver trying to comfort her. And one sad and broken little car.

Stephanie wasn't well this morning but insisted on going to school. She survived the first two lessons before ringing me and asking if it was ok to go home. She was in her own car today (because we had an inkling that she wouldn't be well enough to make it through the whole day) so I told the school that it was ok for her to go home.

She stopped at the intersection. Looked right, looked left and then made the mistake of entering the intersection without looking right again.

Brian (the truck driver) praised her for not hesitating, for speeding up once she saw him, because if she had hesitated the result could have been much worse than a broken and bent little car.

Needless to say Stephanie is extremely shaken. And so is Sharon. When I think what could have happened...if the truck had hit her in the centre of the car and not just clipped that back end...it just doesn't bear thinking about. It wasn't a small truck, it was a fully loaded semi trailer.

Lord, thankyou for watching over Stephanie and keeping her safe today. I pray that you stay with her now as she recovers from her near miss and comfort her.

7 valued opinions!:

My ADHD Me said...

Oh my. I am definitely someone who can relate to what you are going through. I truly think the accidents are worse on the moms than anyone.

Like Stephanie's, my sons accidents were ones that if things had been just a little different, it could have been much more devistating.

I'm praying that the accident will help her in the future. From what I hear, most new drivers have at least a fender bender in the first 9 months. After that, HOPEFULLY, they realize their actions can mean life and death.

We made it through 2 totaled cars and numerous ditches, deer, over correcting etc. Hang in there. He's been incident/accident free for about 6 months now!

HisPrincess said...

I'm thinking coming face to face with a fully loaded (with sheep) semi trailer has definately made her stop and think.

I'm just extremely thankful it wasn't worse.

Lightening said...

As soon as I saw the title in my reader my heart was in my throat. Poor thing. I'm SO glad she's alright.

Leah Adams said...

How gracious the Lord was to Stephanie. I am so thankful that she was not hurt badly. I know you must be very shaken up.

I hope you all can rest a bit today.

Leah

My ADHD Me said...

Hi. Just stopping in to say hi. Thought it might help to know someone is thinking about you.

Joanie said...

Feels like I've read a totally different story than what I picked up on fb. Yikes!

So, so thankful her instinct was to speed up and the impact was 'less damaging' than it could have been. Giving thanks to God for watching over Stephanie and delivering her through what could have been a terrible situation... Cars can be replaced. People can't.

Lord, I pray your peace and comfort over Sharon, Stephanie and Brian (- truck driver) - and Kym and Scott too. I pray a calm and a stillness would settle each of their nerves. I pray for complete healing for Stephanie ~ and that through this she would be drawn nearer to you. And, I pray that you would heal Stephanie's body of any bumps and bruises and the illness she's been fighting. I thank You and praise You ~ in Jesus' mighty and precious name. Amen.

I'm thankful that You are with us each moment of the day. And, I'm so thankful Your mercies are new each day.

HisPrincess said...

Jodi: thanks, physically she is fine, emotionally she is still a bit of a wreck.

Leah: thankyou for your concern, it means a lot to know that people care.

My ADHD: thanks for stopping by again. Steph and I are both still a bit shaken. She doesn't want to drive. I guess she will get back into it when she is ready.

Joanie: Thanks again for your care and support. It means so much. Steph doesn't have any bumps and bruises at all so is incredibly lucky. Brian was a bit shaken, bad enough to hit a car, but worse to hit a car driven by a kid you know I imagine.