Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dental Drama part 986

Last week my dentist finally finished the root canal treatment I've been enduring over the past couple of months. Ouch.

On Friday I'm going under general anaesthetic in hospital to have a wisdom tooth removed. I have to say that when the Oral surgeon said he'd prefer to put me under for the procedure I was quite relieved.

I've had this wisdom tooth for a long time without it causing me any trouble whatsoever, until late last year. I put up with it for a really long time before I went to the dentist, only to find that it was infected and beyond repair and needed to come out.

Great.

Lesson number 1 - if you have a tooth ache - GO TO THE DENTIST! It hurts for a reason!

This tooth runs really close to a nerve along the bottom of my jaw (can't remember the name of the nerve) and the dentist didn't want to touch it, so I was referred to an oral surgeon.

Lesson number 2 - DO NOT put off going to the dentist! What could have been a filling has now become a major drama because I took the ostrich approach!!!!

The oral surgeon said that because I'd let it get so bad before seeing the dentist there wasn't much left of the tooth above the gum line and it would have to be cut out.

Lesson number 3 - If you have a broken tooth DO NOT ignore it! It's much easier for an infection to get inside a broken tooth. Go to the dentist IMMEDIATELY!!!

So....On Friday morning, sometime between 8am and 1pm South Australian time I will be knocked out and have the tooth surgically removed. Any prayers during this time would be greatly appreciated!

I have another chipped tooth I noticed the other day....

Doesn't hurt though, I don't think I'll worry about going to the dentist just yet. ;)

4 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Sharon,

Right up until that last line, you would have been a great employee for my husband's office. These are the things he tells people over and over, but they won't listen. Then when they have a tooth blow up on them and call in the middle of the night saying they have an emergency, he is not very sympathetic. It is the old 'I told you so' thing.

I'll be praying for you and for the oral surgeon.

Leah

HisPrincess said...

LOL!!!

I knew you would have something to say about that last line Leah!

Honestly, I've learned my lesson!

Your prayers will be appreciated. It's not the extraction that worries me, it the anaesthetic. I don't recover from them well.

Joanie said...

Praying...

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 16 years old. I had the two uppers done - with just local anesthetic (I don't like general either). That night, I went to our high school basketball game!

When I had the two lowers removed, I did general because I hated hearing the "sounds" associated with the first two teeth removal. My recovery was slower, but I enjoyed being 'fussed over'!

Hope it's goes well, quick recovery and lots of TLC from the family. :)

Joanie said...

How did it go? I thought of you throughout the day and prayed too! Hope your family is spoiling you with lots of TLC!