Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Randomness

After finishing the washing this afternoon I wandered out to the garden to see what Kym was up to. He was just finishing off planting out his tomato seedlings, so I gave him a hand, then went and got the camera to take a photo of the new plants.
Just as we were finishing up Kym pointed out a baby galah in a nearby tree, so of course I took a photo of him too! His nest is a hollow log that Kym has wired up into the tree. The same family of wild galah's nest there every year. This young fellow wasn't afraid of me at all. I was able to get really close and he happily sat in his nest watching me.

Since I had camera in hand I thought I'd go for a bit of a wander around the farm. Boris (the cat) decided to come with me and we had a pleasant walk on a lovely calm spring afternoon. As you can see we went by the bees, who were busy coming and going loaded up with pollen. If you get really close you can see the pollen on their legs. But I wasn't getting that close!

Of course Boris had to have a rest after all that exercise. He got a bit of a fright when a couple of magpies swooped over his head. They don't appreciate it when you get close to their nest, and they aren't afraid to tell you!

He's a handsome young man isn't he? :)

6 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

Love the pictures! Looks like you had a delightful day... :)

So is Kym replanting his garden or is this the next phase of the garden for spring/summer? How's the honey operation going?

Adorable galah (hope I remembered to spell it correctly). I'd love to watch him a bit each day...

I'm a dog person and Boris is a cat. I tolerate the cats around our neighborhood as long as they are good mousers or ratters or possum killers... But, don't come in my yard!

A really lovely day. :)

Kelly said...

I've never seen a galah before, but it is beautiful! Great photos.

Leah Adams said...

Galahs are new to me. Not thinking we have them here in the US of A.

However, we do have handsome kitties like Boris. He makes me miss my Temi who looked ever so much like Boris.

Leah

Ginger said...

Hi,
I enjoyed your pictures. I visited after reading your sweet comment on my non-existent blog. I came over to tell you that I NOW HAVE A POST! Thanks so much for your kind words! I look forward to getting to know you!
Ginger

HisPrincess said...

Hi Joanie, yes our young galah is getting more and more adventurous each day. He hasn't flown yet but now that he has all his feathers it won't be long.

Kelly a Galah is a member of the cockatoo family, native and unique to Australia. This one is just a baby, when he grows up his feathers will be a beautiful bright pink.

Leah, no you don't have them in the US. And he is a handsome kitty isn't he?

Hi Ginger, welcome to my blog! I will be over to see your post soon! Yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Home sweet home.. and in the country ...and in Australia too.. how blessed are you Sharon!