Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Journey of Faith

My faith journey has been somewhat rocky this year...

We started out ok, pretty normal, and then I just didn't find time for regular church. And that's where the trouble started.

I set myself a goal of reading the bible in a year, and got stuck at March, and then started to beat myself up. More trouble.

I failed at being a good Christian, asked forgiveness, failed again, asked forgiveness, failed again, asked forgiveness, failed again.... until in about April I threw my hands in the air and GAVE UP.

I decided that if I couldn't be a good Christian then I would be a Christian at all. Plenty of people seem to get through life with less drama and hassle than me without God. So I decided that God didn't exist. Stamped my feet, stuck my tongue out and blew a big fat raspberry skyward.

That lasted until I went to bed that night, and said my usual prayer before going to sleep...only I thought, hang on, who are you praying to? You can't pray to God if you don't believe in him. After a silent little argument with myself I decided FINE. You do exist. But I'm ignoring you. So there.

That lasted right up until late July when the wheels fell off. Scott got a new job. We packed him up, found him a rental, moved him in. And two weeks later he quit. Just like that. Hated it so he quit. At which point I literally fell to my knees and said sorry. I'm sorry for trying to do it myself. I'm nothing without you. I can't do it alone.

Since then has been a slow and long recovery. It's like getting divorced and trying to start over. I feel like I've cheated. I'm beating myself up again and a few times I've almost quit again. Almost. God isn't letting go so easily this time. He got me back to church with a phone call to remind me that it's my turn to lead worship. He's been bombarding me daily with scripture on facebook, on my kindle, in my devotions. Everything I read seems to point me back to the One.

Lord, I know I can't do it alone, but I still try. Please help me to surrender myself and my life to you completely. Help me to trust in your plan. In your precious name I pray. Amen.

4 valued opinions!:

Anonymous said...

Sounds familiar dear Sharon! Each day is a struggle and thats why we need God! I could relate to your concept of divorce!
This song comes on the radio so many times when i am about to pack up and leave home and I thought you may enjoy it. Perhaps look it up and listen on You tube too.
You are NOT alone no matter what is happening to you or around you and God is NOT MAD at you !!! Lynette

Mandisa - Overcomer Lyrics
Artist: Mandisa
Album: Overcomer

Staring at a stop sign
Watching people drive by
T Mac on the radio
Got so much on your mind
Nothing's really going right
Looking for a ray of hope

Whatever it is you may be going through
I know He's not gonna let it get the best of you

You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
You're not going under
‘Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when He reminds You
That you're an overcomer
You're an overcomer

Everybody's been down
Hit the bottom, hit the ground
Oh, you're not alone
Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants You to know

The same Man, the Great I am
The one who overcame death
Is living inside of You
So just hold tight, fix your eyes
On the one who holds your life
There's nothing He can't do
He's telling You

Joanie said...

Hallelujah! What a wonderful and joyous answer to my prayers! I knew you would come back to Him.

GRACE. Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Struggle myself ALOT this year. Still working on things too. SO GLAD we're in this journey together, dear friend.

He is able
More than able
to accomplish what concerns me today.

He is able
More than able
to handle anything that comes my way.

He is able
More than able
to do much more than I could ever dream.

He is able
More than able
to make me what He wants me to be.

I will celebrate, sing unto the Lord, sing to the Lord a new song!

Still learning what GRACE means and how amazing and wonderful our Heavenly Father, Jesus our Lord and the Holy Spirit are.

You are SO LOVED!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement... I can always rely on you two!

Leah Adams said...

I've been away from Blogger for a while, so I'm just now reading this. I'm so glad God didn't allow you to walk away without a struggle. His Holy Spirit never gives up on one of His own. I loved your transparency on this. Blessings to you.