Saturday, July 9, 2011

What do you do when you don't like your daughters boyfriend??

Because I really do. not. like. him.

He makes promises he doesn't keep. He borrows money from her and doesn't repay. He uses her car and computer like it's his own. And (this is the big one) he puts her down.

My hackles are up. I'm gritting my teeth. The mumma bear is coming out, and she may just go for the jugular.

I've told her what I think. She says when they are getting along the relationship is really good. And he always apologises, and says he was only joking, and she needs to toughen up and not get offended so easily. She doesn't want to break up with him. Doesn't feel she is strong enough to handle a break up. She feels responsible for him because he has no money because his parents aren't as supportive as hers. And that's the way he treats her, like she's his mother. He whinges and complains when she says no to him, demands money and then sulks when she doesn't have any.

So what am I supposed to do???

I've told her what I think she should do. I've told her that she deserves to be treated with respect and that she deserves to have her feelings taken into account. She says I'm over reacting, and he's not that bad. I don't think I am.

The difficult thing now, is that I've said my piece, and I don't think I can't keep saying it or she may stop talking to me.

So I shall pray. Unceasingly. Constantly. And trust that God will sort her out.

In other news...Steph got offered a job yesterday as a waitress (which is something she loves to do). She has her first training shift today. So that is an answer to prayer!

Of course I'm worried that the more money she has, the more he will mooch off her.

Dear Lord,
Please be with Steph today as she begins her new job. Help her understand all that she is being taught and really enjoy the experience. Help her come to the right decision about her relationship with Alex. Let her have the wisdom and courage to do what is right for her. In your precious name, Amen.

3 valued opinions!:

Leah Adams said...

Grrrr...my hackles are up too. This guy is a leech and a big problem. However, I agree. You've spoken your thoughts and now you must back off and pray. I will be praying too. Soooo glad she got a job, though.

Thanks for stopping in over at The Point and leaving a comment on my Facebook related post.

have a great day!

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for that Leah. So glad I've got prayer warriors like you in my camp! I spoke to Steph after her first shift today and she was pretty tired and a bit wary of me as though she was expecting me to bring him up again. It's hard to bite my tongue and the last thing I want is for her to be hurt but I feel so strongly that he is not the right person for her. This letting go business is NO fun at all!

Joanie said...

My heart goes out to you. We can all see that he is "no good" and she should run the other direction as fast as possible, but her blinders are on...

Praying God opens her eyes and she sees clearly and honestly what is happening with this guy. Thankful for God's provision of a new job for her. Praying He sends the right man into her life.

And, I totally understand how difficult it is to NOT say anything more. Been learning that myself lately...