Thursday, November 18, 2010

Change is afoot...

I usually welcome change with open arms. I've been known to change things just for sake of having a change.

At the moment I'm struggling to imagine enjoying the changes about to take place in our family. Nothing new, or drastic, these changes have been happening since time began.

I'm talking about our children spreading their wings and leaving home.

Exciting and scary for them. Just plain scary for me.

Tomorrow morning Stephanie will graduate from high school. Then her class, teachers and parents will celebrate with a formal graduation dinner. It seems just yesterday that I was getting ready for my own graduation dinner. Steph has her dress (gorgeous, there will be photos), she is getting her hair and makeup done, she is very excited about the whole thing. As she should be.

On Monday Steph will begin harvest work with Viterra, a grain handling company. This is seasonal work that a lot of students take up as a pretty lucrative summer job. It's not any easy job by any stretch of the imagination, it's very physical and the conditions can be extremely hot, dusty and uncomfortable.

In January Steph will work 2 or 3 nights per week at a local hotel. The owner has agreed to train her and give her the experience she needs to hopefully gain part time work when she moves to Adelaide.

And then in February my baby leaves the nest. She will be so busy between now and then that I'm afraid I'll hardly see her. She has been accepted into a four year degree in Acupuncture, which she is very excited about. Next week she will find out if she has been successful in gaining a scholarship which will cover her first year's fees. So we are praying!

So while Stephanie buzzes about cleaning and packing up her room, throwing away clothes that no longer fit, sorting out what will or won't fit in her little unit, excitedly making lists, looking at bake ware, and generally getting prepared I'm left wondering what happened? Where did the time go?

Lord, I pray that as Stephanie gets prepared to leave home that I am able to support her in any way that she needs. I pray that I've taught her enough to live happily and safely. I pray that she will gain the scholarship she has applied for, and that she will be successful in her studies. Most of all I pray that she will look to you for guidance and love, and know that she is never alone when you live in her heart.

4 valued opinions!:

Joanie said...

It is a time of joy and sorrow; mixed emotions run high. I can relate to how you're feeling. All of mine have graduated now - though one remains home - and I ask that question so often... What happened?

And ~ how did the time fly by so quickly? Will we ever be all together again? Is this it? What will I do with myself now? How will I adjust to life as the children leave our home?

It's a challenging season and exciting season. I shall be praying for you, dear friend. May God continue to expand your world and fill your heart with His great JOY!

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I've had a little catch up with you... It has been a while... This sure would be a challenging time for you, and so I hope and pray that you'll see God in all that's ahead for you and your children. It's seems far off for me, what you're experiencing, but I am all too aware of time zooming, and so take heed from messages like yours, and relish what I have with my little ones now... It's been good to 'see' you. I hope you are all gearing up for a great time celebrating Christmas. Blessings! Naomi x

HisPrincess said...

Thanks for the wisdom Joanie...I'm sure I will be needing it more next year! So nice to have someone to chat to who has been there..

And lovely to hear from you Naomi! Hope that little family is doing well and you all have a joyous Christmas!

HisPrincess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.